Monday, January 17, 2011

Newton's 1st Law


Here is a little more hypocritical gargin I’ll try to dispense, make myself feel better or lousy attempt at motivation.
I was asked to help with scouts this week. They worked on Scientist belt loop or badge. They did some experiments and talked about Newton’s 1st law:
An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an unbalanced force; An object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. That statement kinda hit me on Saturday. I’ve had a cold for a couple days, and I’m nervous about taking “night time” medication. Since it was Friday night I decided to take some. But it seemed to stick with me for a good portion of the day. Just felt blah and lazy I guess.
Went running with Nathan on Thursday at the end of the work day. 1st excersize and run of the year. Haven’t been since Halloween. It felt good. I was surprised I was able to go farther than a mile. Thought to myself, “Hey I can do this again, that wasn’t so tuff. It was easier to start than in previous years”
So Saturday I had big plans to go running again, start some sort of routine or something. But just couldn’t get the “umph” to go do it.
Thought about Newton’s law for some reason and how it totally pertained to me. An object at rest tends to stay at rest. I was sitting there, and was going to stay sitting. I wouldn’t have gone running unless Nathan (unbalanced force) got me moving.
Last year when I said, “I don’t feel like running”. That was when I went. “When I don’t feel like it is when I need to go the most”, I’d tell myself. Its been hard to say that lately. I’ve been content to “stay at rest”.
Last year when I was “in motion” is was easier to “stay in motion” The unbalanced force hat stopped me was the season, or was it? I guess I need to figure that out, or do I?
I’m not a “goal oriented” person. Last year I did set some goals and achieved them. It was pretty cool. Maybe that’s what I need this year? Just feel so overwhelmed when I think about all the things going on this summer/year. I want to do all the runs I did last year, but not sure I will be able to, do to money and scheduling. I want to do better too, but I pushed last year, and it wasn’t very fun. The end result was great, but training for it wasn’t.
Well I woke up today and told myself, “Just go, start the motion. Who knows, maybe you’ll tend to stay in motion”. So I went today for a run. It was nice outside. Sidewalks and paths were mostly clear. I wore shorts in January! Went 3 miles. It was tuff. I had to stop a few times, catch my breath. Don’t know what from, I was totally going slow. I thought maybe it was the season, there isn’t any air during the winter, even though it didn’t feel like winter. My legs were mostly willing to move. At about the 2 mile mark though they were ready to be done. My lungs on the other hand were done at 1 mile. After I got home I had to take Oliver for a walk in the stroller, we walked for another 2 miles. Helped cool down and get some sun, even thought I hate the sun, it was good to see it. Maybe I’ll keep it going. Even if I don’t run, I need to stay in motion. I have a basement that needs finishing and it ain’t gonna do it by its self. I’ve got some more materials and need to put them in place. Don’t get overwhelmed by the whole project, just do little by little.
Anyways, there it is. An object in motion tends to stay in motion. An object at rest tends to stay at rest, unless acted upon an unbalanced force. Find your force and get in motion.

Made a little mix of last year's 5k playlist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHSC1NoOhnk

No comments: