Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Oklahoma, OK!

Hey all! Look who learned how to blog! Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Bruce and I had the chance to go on a quick trip this weekend. He had to drive Wayne's car down to Oklahoma City and I got to go with him. (Thanks Nathan) And the best part was we got to go by ourselves, no kids! (Thanks Mom, and April & Mark, and as usual, I'm sorry!) The trip seemed like it would be a little rough, a total of 18 hours of driving, then hop on a plane and fly back home. But when you have time without your kids, you do what you can to make it the time of your life. Well Bruce texted me right before the trip and said "Bad news, the car only has a tape deck." Ooooooh, you've got to be kidding me. We have to drive a third of the way across the country without CD's?? But I am here to tell you that when you're in a jam and desperate for a good mixed tape, no one, and I mean NO ONE rises to the occasion like Bruce. He was so excited to blow the dust off all of his old tapes and gather up a few for the drive. And if any of you know anything about me and Bruce, you know that when we were young'ns, he made me a mixed tape a week. And if there is something I learned from this trip it is that nothing rekindles the flame like bustin' out all the old mixed tapes from 1989, 90, 91 and even a couple from 94!! I mean who else can get away with combining Poison, Kenny G, Bon Jovi, and Elvis all on one tape? I know this should be illegal but Bruce somehow pulled it off. And I'm here 19 years later to tell you that it did the trick! We had a great time in the car listening to them.

But don't worry, the trip wasn't all just bad music from Jr. High. We stopped for a little adventure just outside of Moab at Wilson's Arch and decided to hike it. It doesn't look very high or steep from the bottom but once we got going I had do ditch the flip flops (duh) and hike it barefoot. Once we got to the top I battled my fear of heights to take a few pics.
bruce wilson archbruce w arch 1
liz w arch 2liz w arch
No I'm not moving out into the sun,
are you insane? Just take the picture!
That's right, dead drop off on the other
side of the arch.
no dumping
He wasn't a resident,
so he can do whatever he wants.

We talked, we laughed, Bruce drove, I had a few naps, and of course, as usual, Bruce took pictures of me sleeping in the car with my mouth gaping open, which I will NOT post, thank you very much. I know, he's such a brat.

We stopped in Albuquerque to pay a quick visit to Summer and Roy. Couldn't stay very long but we finally got to see their lovely home and had a nice little visit. We had a good time playing a game with their baby and his stuffed pig, he has never wanted so much as to look at me so I was excited that he let us play with him! After Albuquerque, we stayed the night in Santa Rosa, N.M. Then we drove to Oklahoma City on Sunday where we got on a plane and flew home.

All in all it was a fun trip, although it was short, we got to see some really pretty parts of the country. And they're not kidding when they say "Oklahoma, where the wind goes sweeping down the plains". The trees actually grow sideways there because of all of the wind! It was a very funny sight.

And in closing I have a little anecdote for all of you family members who used to make fun of me for having to pee so often on car trips. For those who don't know, when I was younger and we would drive back and forth between Utah and California, I was the butt of everyone's potty jokes. I was called Madame Pee-pee because I had a "bladder the size of a pea". HA-HA! You are all SO DAMN FUNNY! As soon as Dad would get back on the road, I had to stop again. So everyone said I should write a book called "Bathrooms Across America" and rate the cleanliness of all of the bathrooms that I visit. Well, let me tell you, nothing has really inspired me to do so until I paid a visit to the bathroom in the Oklahoma city airport. 10!! I am a real stickler about using toilet seat covers. If there aren't any, I will cover the seat with toilet paper, or just float above it. Well, these toilets had an electronic toilet seat cover dispenser. The whole seat was wrapped in plastic and when you push a button the plastic rotates out of the back of the toilet to reveal brand new clean plastic! (At least that was what it lead me to believe) It was like a Christmas miracle I tell you!! I think I sat there and pushed the button about 10 times just for the pure funsies of it. (Wasteful, I know) But Oklahoma City Airport, you get a 10! And if I ever find myself so bored that I actually write this book, your toilets are going on the front cover!

7 comments:

April Fossen said...

Yay Liz! Now you can do like I do and spend your days writing about things that only matter to you and that only you will ever read!

pinky said...

If you need to borrow some paper for your book - I have a case of TP downstairs. It would be a best seller! You think I'm kidding?

Bill said...

I would argue that there is no bad music from Jr High.

And why wait to publish a book? Just blog one bathroom at a time. Pictures are a must.

Elizabeth said...

I know I wish I would've taken a picture of that toilet. It was a beautiful sight to behold. I had my phone and my didgital camera on me and didn't even think of it. It's ok. Bruce goes to OK City alot. Next time he flies in, he'll be getting me a picture!

Summer said...

"Louis, Louis, Oh oh, me gotta go!"
Love the story of the bathroom. I love automatic soap dispensers (I think I encountered them in the SLC airport). Maybe it is just airport bathrooms that are so grand. They lure you in.

Brandon and Brianne said...

haha yeah drew is a nerd! I still cant believe his eating habbits! it is fun to see how you all are doing. Wish we could have come for thanksgiving I would have helped eat that turkey! :)

DeVon said...

Bruce does have a knack for making good mix tapes! Sounds like you guys had a great time. Sorry, I'm just getting around to catching up on reading the blog post, but we missed you at the Utah/BYU game. Bruce could have used some consoling from a loved one, because he was just getting smack talk from me. :)