Saturday, February 27, 2010

An attempt on my life

There are many types of people in this world. Achievers, those that succeed, wealthy, happy, spriritual, honorable, go getters, do gooders, optimists, ect...
There are also slackers, lazies, poor, un-motivated, unhappy, pessimists, ect...
We've all heard the saying, "You can do anything if you put your mind to it". Well I believe I fall in the middle somewhere. I "attempt" things. I don't do them. I don't try at them. I don't work at them. I sometimes make an attempt.
Yeah thats not good, I know, but its what I know, its what I do. Sure I've had many failures because of it. But also some little success. A few examples:
I didn't work or try very hard in school, I made an attempt. In sports if I worked harder maybe I'd be better, nah I made an attempt. At work if I applied myself, tried & worked harder I could get some certifications and what not. I attempted too.
So anyways...
This time last year (March) I weighed 185lbs. Sure to some people thats not bad, no big deal right. I'm 5'7". Thats portly. Senior year in High School I was still 5'7" and soaking wet at 135lbs. Being married, working and eating alot of sandwhiches I hit hit maybe 140-145. So thats extra 40lbs I'm not used too.
10 years ago I moved to Utah valley after working at a cheese factory I wieghed about 180. Got a gym membership, actually "worked" at it. Ate better, worked out twice a week, in 7 months or so I was back at 155lbs. Endurance was great, I could play basketball for hours on end (wasn't very good because of previous "attempts") but still put in an effort and had fun. Schedule got crazy, stop going to the gym, pow- 185lbs again.
Last summer I wanted to run in 5k's with family members, so I had to build up endurance, stamina and drop some weight. not a problem for most people. I have this little thing called a sweet tooth. Maybe even at a time a little addiction to the donut and the bane of my existance- SODA. I had a little success. Holidays came, did not make an attempt to not eat the good stuff. With making an attempt at new years resolutions (be in shape to run better this summer)I have finally dropped below 160 pounds. Maybe if I worked at it, tried harder to eat better I could've hit 160 easily in a couple months last summer. but I only made an attempt. I still eat the burger & onion rings, I still drink the soda. But I make an attempt to eat/drink less. One 20oz soda a week is better than 2-3 a day!
I still have a soda gut. I may make an attempt to get rid of it.
I know jogging a couple miles a week is no big deal to most people, but to me 3 miles in an eternity.
Sure thats pretty sad. People could say, "You could do so much more if you just put in the effort". I know, but at least I made an attempt! Thats better than nothing, right? For me it feels good to say, "I did better than nothing".
I'm in no position to challenge or encourage people, but I am in a position to say, "Hey at least make an attempt".
May 22nd is the 2nd annual Kieth Young Memorial 5k. Last year I posted a time of 28:40. This year I will "attempt" to do better. I'm not a goal setting person of course, but if I were to set one, 26:20 is a time I would shoot for.
So for those of the family that didn't run it last year, make an attempt too.
Picture on the left is March '09, right side is September '09. Maybe the 2nd chin is just hiding under the gotee ;)
chin comparison

1 comment:

Mark Harmon said...

"So for those of the family that didn't run it last year, make an attempt too."

Was that directed at me? I probably should. I'm hanging around 155. Sometimes I go up to 160, sometimes I go down to 153, but haven't been under 150 for a LLOOOONNNG time.

I think I'm worse than you. I don't even attempt. I just say, "That's looks hard, why even bother."