Friday, January 11, 2013

Cure for Pain


...Pain is temporary. It may last for a minute, an hour, a day or even a year. But eventually it will subside. And something else will take its place. If you quit however, it will last forever. At the end of pain is success. Your not gonna die cuz you feel a little pain...
- Eric Thomas

Every time I use my foot more than normal I end up hurting or immobile for the next day or two. Its frustrating, discouraging, and doesn't make any sense.
It's been close to 8 months now since messing up my ankle. I was told that it might not be a year until I feel normal or able to do everything I did before. I also heard everyone is different, some people were running again at 6 months.
I've tried running a couple times, I thought it was going to get better, it seemed to set me back afterwards. Maybe I'm not pushing hard enough? I let pain hold me back, maybe if I pushed through it I would get stronger faster?
I know with the weather its hard to get outside, but I've missed some Saturday opportunities though. It's go time, its been go time for awhile.
With our highway 12 trip coming up in 2 months I'm a little worried. 1st we've been planning this for awhile now, and some things are looking to unravel. Some siblings might not be able to get the time off, some are battling physical set backs too.
Last year I was the guy who was kinda leading the way, lets climb this, lets go here, go there. This year I'm scared. I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up. I'm afraid that after the first day I'll be hurting and immobile. I have never been to Zion's or Bryce and want to desperately explore it, and do it well.
I'm afraid those siblings won't be able to make it either, or have a hard time keeping up too. I'm sure they are like me and don't want to hold anyone back. I know I would feel bad if people did hold back and not explore what they want to hang out with me. I would also feel bad that I couldn't keep up, that I couldn't explore what everyone else could.
Along with my ankle I've also gained 20lbs. Since I haven't been active I have no strength or endurance either. I'll get winded easily, I'll sweat like a pig.
I just need this to get easier fast. I need to get fit, to get strong, and I need to do this quickly.
I know I'm the only one to blame for this predicament I'm in. I could've eaten better, I could've taken better advantage of my time to work out my foot.
I'm going to now!
I've been pumped for this trip ever since the end of last year's trip. In the last few weeks I got a new hat to keep the sun off my head (watch its gonna rain). I got a new hydration/back pack. In the next few weeks I'm going to get new shoes.
Hopefully I don't have to get new/bigger shorts and pants.

I put together a little slide show of things we may see on our trip to get me motivated.








No comments: